The summer months are here and that means it’s time for grilling season! Grilling is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get dinner on the table quickly. But there are some common mistakes people make when cooking steaks at home.
Grilling a steak can be tricky. It is important to know the basics of grilling in order to avoid making mistakes that could ruin your dinner. Grilled steaks are delicious and there are many ways you can cook them; but, make sure you follow these 7 simple tips so that your meal turns out great!
1. Marinate the meat for at least an hour before cooking it. The marinade tenderizes the meat and adds flavor which makes it taste better.
2. Cook over medium-high heat to sear both sides of the steak evenly without overcooking or burning any parts of it.
3. Add salt and pepper before cooking for added flavor if desired (though this is not necessary).
4. Never use any oil or butter on the grill surface or meat itself as this will cause flare ups which burn fat out of the meat creating blackened ends and less flavorful interior cuts.
5. Always let your steaks come to room temperature first so they don’t cool down too quickly once they hit the grill which leaves them with gray patches in between browned parts.
6. Not Preheating The Grill- This might seem like an obvious mistake but many people do not preheat their grill before cooking on it. If you don’t preheat the grill then the heat won’t be distributed evenly across your grate, which leads to uneven cooking times and temperatures for your meat/seafood.
7. Let the meat sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before grilling. This will allow for even cooking throughout without any cold spots in the meat.